Monday, February 14, 2011

The Progress Thus Far (Week 4)

To be brief, Tuesday, I notched my sill logs and recessed my main floor joist.

I lost Wednesday to snow and came out of my sleeping bag for a whopping 20 minutes all day.

The seemingly continuous cycle of rain, snow, rain, snow has thoroughly soaked the ground. With soil comprised of almost exclusively clay, nothing drains well. As a consequence, my makeshift driveway was becoming a bit sketchy. There were several times I was already loudly cursing my luck when my tires finally caught and I managed to slide through. Left with no decent options, Thursday, I cut a new driveway through the woods. Without cutting out large trees, the final product is a pretty narrow in places, but as long as I pay close attention, I should be able to keep my mirrors attached.

Friday, I began what promises to be a long and arduous process: collecting the logs that will make up my walls. I cut a tree, got three 12-foot logs from it, managed to maneuver the logs into my clearing, peeled the bark, and slept like a baby that night.

Saturday, was beautiful and I took a walk through the property, finding and marking trees that might suit my needs.

Sunday, was the obligatory day of getting clean, eating well, and catching up on the goings-on in the family.

Monday (today), it was back to collecting logs for my walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment